DNC Board Meeting, February 20th, 2015, location: 2nd floor, Ray Cam Centre, 920 East Hastings.
Scott: February 26th at 7 pm at SFU Housing forum. Stamps Tenant Council recommends that we attend with a bunch of recommendations. Scott explains possible next steps for Stamps Tenant Council to group.
X: I went to the United We Can depot on Industrial Street. It takes 20 minutes to walk. We have to put in a proposal. Shawn will give email address to Matt. Suggests we ask people to bring their bottles on a Saturday.
Aaron: We should give the funds to the group. And people who do the bottle drive get a stipend.
X: I think 28th should be the bottle drive. We also need a media spokesperson.
Jacek: Will people take the time to come with bottles on Saturday? I think Thursday and Friday they might want to give their bottles when they go to work. Instead of plastic bags in bin they can drop it off at the corner.
X: I think community bars will give them to us. So do we want to go forward?
Roland put it on credit card. We have it up. Roland will send Matt the account info. Matt will post questions. There are 10 questions and 2 questions per each category. We want to let people know we’re alive.
Discussion group has interest from CBC. Group discusses who will be spokesperson. Aaron: nominates Amanda . Motion seconded that Amanda will be the spokesperson for that particular show. Motion passed. Matt asks Amanda for strong commitment. Amanda agrees. Discussion that three power statements are needed. Amanda agrees to work on the three power statements and report back.
X: They have a fund raising programme and it’s for selling chocolates. The only other thing is that tour thing.
Matt: Once this national broadcaster picks up Amanda, we could get funding.
Jacek: Brenda Proskin (sp) said the city will not fund a resident’s association.
Aaron: We don’t fit into anyone’s criteria for funding.
X: If we go media with the bottle drive we can use that for a request for funding.
Matt: If we go into this CBC thing we can plug the bottle drive of the dtes. If we can tighten up Amanda’s document we can use that to ask for money.
Roland: Cupe used to give money.
Ann: Cupe gave money to Jean Swanson.
Roland: We can’t criticize the non profits if we’re in bed with them.
Ann: They’ll either say yes or they’ll say no, we have to keep asking. There’s an Addiction Task Force. They’re going to be talking about a report called Phase I: Caring for All. It came out September of last year. So now they’re going to create a peer leadership table: low barrier services. There’s $80 million going to St. Paul’s, Act teams and cops. That’s $32,000 per person and the person gets to live outside because they’re homeless. Bloom Group is to oversee the Mental Health and Addictions services.
The questions I’ve raised before this meeting were who is sectioning clients, which badge numbers do the most sectioning, how long were they held? How many ask for a review? Clasbc does the review. Client says it takes longer to get out if you ask for a review because the lawyer needs to do whatever the lawyers do. So they won’t ask for a review. How many complaints have been filed for being sectioned for the Mental Health Act?
Aaron: It’s starting to happen to more and more people. We should be aware.
Ann: I wrote letters to ask for the evaluations of Act teams but there’s no evaluations being done. It’s been five years but no evaluation. Karen says there are evaluations but I’ve never seen them.
Moment of Silence